Wednesday, March 11, 2009

birthday special or special birthday?

Its 11th march. My 19th birthday.  I was born 19 years ago on this same day and co incidentally it was holi that day too.

Birthdays have always been special. I remember being super excited from February itself. I couldn’t wait for 11th march.

My birthday cakes have always been home made. Almost. When we did not have an oven it was jaju aunty who used to bake delicious cakes in the shapes of dolls, butterflies and all that. My mother used to cook mouth watering delicacies and the kids from colony, school friends, family friends would all turn up for the bash. I used to love my birthday parties. Dressing up for the same was such a lot of fun. Dressing up in pink frill frocks (when I did not mind pink) and skirts and receiving compliments for the same was a ritual. And the excitement of unwrapping presents when everyone was gone was uncontrollable!

In school I used to distribute chocolates and choose a lucky friend to accompany me to distribute sweets from class to class. The teachers too used to admire my dresses. And back then all that mattered too.

Now things are different. I really don’t make a fuss with what I’m going to wear. i do not expect gifts because over the years I’ve realized that what matters to me the most is the presence of loved ones. An ideal birthday for me would be my really close friends, and my family at my place hogging on home made pasta (or pizzas or Chinese. Mum is great!)

And of course who can forget the bday cake!

Lets see what this year has in store for me. Nothing much today I guess coz its exam time. But still it is a special day for me because it makes me realize there’s a lot to do... And time is running out.. J

5 comments:

  1. A very happy (belated) birthday!
    I really have to agree with what you say with regard to the changes in the celebrations as the person grows older, it's sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe thank u very much! wait for the update though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. heyy a belated very happy Bday...... lotsa best wishes :):)...... tacay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. u too...how "meen"! anyways...... although u dint had b'day bash as u wud ve liked, but I am sure u ll get plenty of opportunities in future to cover up the "presents" loss :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwww.. i miss all the celebrations of Big B'days.. no such parties and i miss those pink frrrril frocks too..
    muaah!! happy belated b'day to you... btw gifts are equally important.. as wishes are always with us even if its not a special day.. but gift is a momento... ;-) so u c we should always expect gifts not out of lalach... lol :D

    ReplyDelete